Admission to the Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship Charter School (SASCCS) shall not be limited on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, national origin, religion or on any other ground that would be unlawful. All children who would be eligible for enrollment in New York State schools in the available grades will be eligible to enroll in the charter school, subject to availability and the process set forth below.
SASCCS will admit each eligible student who submits a timely application, unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of the student’s requested grade level or of the school building. Prospective students and their parents or guardians are encouraged to spend a day visiting the school and sitting in on a classroom instruction period. It is important that students and their parents/guardians understand the values of the school along with its academic and social expectations before they are asked to make a decision to enroll their children. The school will take whatever additional steps deemed necessary to make sure that all information needed is provided. The school will make staff available to any parent or guardian who needs help completing the application.
As public charter school, SASCCS is a tuition-free. Parents or guardians wishing to submit an application for their child to attend SASCCS is required to complete and submit an application online, by mail, or in person. The school does not require any action (beyond the submission of an application) on the part of potential students or their families as a condition of enrollment. The application deadline is by the first day of April each year.
Admissions and Enrollment Process
SASCCS will determine the available seats after giving preference to the students returning to the charter school in the second or any subsequent year of operation. If the number of timely submitted applications of eligible students for admission to a SASCCS exceeds the capacity of the grade level of the school, students will be accepted for admission from among such applicants by a random selection process (lottery).
The admissions lottery will be conducted during the month of April. The admissions lottery will be well publicized and will be open to the public.
Prior to SASCCS’s admissions lottery, a database will be generated containing the name, grade level, and district of residence of every student who has submitted an application. During the lottery, an individual unaffiliated with SASCCS will supervise the use of computer software to generate a randomized, ordered list of all students who have submitted an application. SASCCS will then use the ordered list (separate for each school) to admit students using the following process:
- First, children of employees will be admitted in the order their name appears in the list up to 15% of the charter school’s total enrollment.
- Second, ELL students will be given preference.
- Third, siblings of current SASCCS students will be admitted in the order their name appears on the list.
- Fourth, students residing in the school district in which the charter school is located in the order that their name appears on the list.
- Fourth, if additional seats remain, students who live outside of local school district will be admitted in the order that their name appears on the list.
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate (to verify that the student is of the appropriate age for the entering grade)
- The student’s most recent report card
- A high school transcript with Regents grades (if applicable)
- A copy of the most recent IEP, 504 plan, or speech therapy plan (if applicable)
- Immunization records
- Documentation of a physical examination (done within the past 12 months)
- Documentation of a dental exam for all new students.
- Documentation for proof of address (include two of the following documents):
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name
- Document on letterhead from federal, state, or city agency – including City Housing Authority or the Human Resources Administration – that states home address
- Official payroll documentation from an employer such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or a payroll receipt
- An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence
- A current property tax bill for the residence
- A water bill, cable bill or phone bill for the residence
- Medical or Insurance Card
Students whose names are not selected from the list during the admissions lottery are placed on the SASCCS waiting list in the order that their names appear on the original list. In addition, students who apply after the application deadline will be placed on the waiting list in the receiving order. A separate waiting list will be maintained for each grade level.
When an admitted student does not submit the required the documentation by the deadline or an enrolled student withdraws from the school, the school will contact the parent or guardian of the students next on the waiting list. Reasonable and multiple attempts will be made to contact the family of the student on the top of the waiting list and get confirmation of whether the student is still interested in enrolling at the charter school before proceeding to the next name on the list. Families will be given 24 hours to respond with intentions to enroll a student or the space will be forfeited to the next applicant on the waitlist. The waitlist for each grade level will be maintained until the end of the school year. Waiting lists will not be carried over from year to year.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT APPLICATION PROCESS
When will application process open?
SASCCS's application process for the 2021-2022 school year is now open.
How can I file an application for my child?
When is my application due?
Applications are due by midnight of April 1, 2021.
When is the lottery?
The lottery drawing for Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School (SASCS) and Citizenship Charter School (SASCCS) is on Tuesday, April 12, 2022, starting at 11:00 am at SAS HS Gym.
How do I know if my child is accepted into Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship?
SASCCS will notify you directly with either a letter or a phone call to let you know whether your child has been accepted. You will then be required to contact the school to finalize the enrollment.
If my child is enrolled in SASCCS, will his/her younger siblings also be able to attend SASCCS?
Siblings of students who are enrolled in SASCCS must still apply to the school. They will, however, receive preference.
If I do not live in Syracuse City School District, can my child still apply for SASCCS?
Yes, students appropriately aged for our grades can apply for admissions. However, we first offer available seats to students living in Syracuse City School District and their siblings.
Does SASCCS accept students who are English Language Learners (ELL)?
Yes, SASCCS does give and accept students who are English Language Learners (ELL). However, we encourage parents to speak directly with our school leaders to get a better understanding of the instructional strategies our school uses to support the academic growth of English Language Learners.
Does SASCCS accept students who have a current IEP?
Yes, we encourage students who have a current IEP to apply. SASCCS will work to help meet the goals and objectives outlined in students’ Individualized Education Plans (IEP). However, we encourage parents to speak directly with our school leaders to get a better understanding of the instructional strategies our school uses to support the academic growth of these students.